Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Influences: Heidi Elise Wirz

Let it be said that this woman rocks. She rocks in many many ways. She's an artist living in Portland Oregon.You can view her brilliant art here -> http://www.heidielisewirz.com/ I'd love to be able to describe her art and fit it nicely in a genre for you, but I can't. I have no genre to fit her style into. It's unique. Speaking as an artist, I can't overemphasize the importance of this. She's DIFFERENT. She has her own unique voice. It's not just abstract nonsense put willy nilly onto a canvas. Nosir. It's not even canvas. She tends to use wood as a surface. Oh, and my favorite part, she uses coffee to stain the wood. This is a real "why didn't I think of that?" artist a-ha moment for me. That's just genius. There are a lot of these magical braid-tentacle looking things spiraling around in the composition. I love those tentacles. These appendages come out of people's eyes, mouths, and other impossible places giving the piece this mythological feel. Her work tends to lean toward a lot of childhood imagery due to her heavy influence of old illustration, and its focus on innocence, the loss of it, and the hope to regain it. She was surrounded by books about Swiss Folklore growing up, so I'm guessing that there's some inspiration there. As far as her inspirations, it's fairly personal stuff for her.When her son was born, she was and still is greatly focused by that. She had her son at the young and impressionable age of 16 and is a single mother. THAT puts her in the hero category in my book.
heidi elise wirz
Accidental Anxiety

She paints listening to the heavy metal giants Slayer too. This isn't some lazy Sunday housewife who paints as a hobby with Enya playing. She rocks, remember? I highly suggest you check out her art. Expect to see a lot from her. She's the real-deal my dear dear readers. So I salute you, Heid Elise Wirz. You influence me. Thank you.

2 comments:

hwirz said...

xoxo

Mari-Lyn Harris said...

Yes, it fascinating when we use our imagination like using coffee as a stain, or other ingredients to color our art.

Thanks for sharing one or your hero's