Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Influences: B. Glee Lucas

I'd like to say a few words about the dazzling art of B. Glee Lucas. She's a friend, so I get to call her Barbara. I've been a fan of her art for several years now. Another artist friend of mine told me about the importance of going to the monthly First Friday open studio at 450 Harrison Ave in Boston. I knew nothing about this, so I started to go. It's such an accepted monthly ritual around these parts now that art events are scheduled around it. For real. It's a big deal. I checked out every body's art and was immediately impressed with Barbara's paintings.

b glee lucas

Annecy II by B. Glee Lucas Oil on Canvas

Dazzling. Can't keep your eyes off it, can you? LOOK at the detail in that glass! This painting has it all. Vivid colors, contrast, solid composition, tons of value changes, depth. I could go on and on. She knows what's she's doing.

http://bgleelucas.com/Welcome.html


In her own words:

"The exhilaration of a child hanging her head back on a swing – the askew world rushing up to meet her, the intoxication of looking too close, seeing too much and possibly losing the whole for the parts – these are the feelings I pursue in my paintings." 

or:

"Tomorrow the light may be gone, the sky grey, the wine consumed."

Poetry. Just like her art.  

She'll be in the next publication of Open Studios published by Open Studios Press, in a group show "Reflections" at Haley Art Gallery, Kittery, Maine in November 2012 with one or two more possibilities coming up and, of course, will participate in the SoWA Art Walk on May 6 and Lexington Open Studios on May 19 and 20.

So I salute you B. Glee Lucas, you influence me. Thank you!

2 comments:

B. Glee Lucas said...

Heartfelt thanks to you John for such a lovely piece. I'm honored. Barbara

Ashscallion said...

Her work is fabulous!!!