Monday, January 23, 2012

Influences: Ricahard Kane Ferguson

richard kane ferguson

Gold Coast by Richard Kane Ferguson

I've taken it upon myself to start writing about my artistic influences every week. After thinking about it, the majority of them are alive and working professionally in illustration, comics, or some artistic feild. Every artist is influenced by the masters. If they tell you otherwise, they lie. Picasso, Rembrandt, Dali, Van Gogh, Warhol, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Carvaggio, etc. It's a given. The majority of the ones I truly admire are alive and thriving. It's even more interesting to talk about the artists out there that are actually alive and working. I get so much inspiration from these artists. Some I can even proudly call a friend. This is the case with Richard Kane Ferguson. A man of extreme talent and has the extreme character to match. View and start to collect his art here:

http://www.rkaneproductions.com/

He tends to use watercolor as his medium of choice with pen and ink and other mediums added. This is an uncommon meduim for illustrators and most likely gives him a significant edge. I don't know a lot about watercolors, but I can tell you that his art covers all the criteria of great art. Color theory, contrast, economy of line, edges, value changes, composition, selective focus, on and on, he's got it. They're  really striking images. I was instanty hooked.

The digital age upon us ushered in the social networking web sites. Through these channels, I started dialogs with some of the best artists out there. What still amazes me to this day is how receiving these artists are. It's rare when you encounter an artist up in their ivory tower. They are very humble people. There are the modern art superstars like Julian Schnabel's out there. I don't even try to communicate with those guys. They're not really living with the rest of us anyways. BUT the illustrators are different. They can be reached. Almost all of them have technical skill that blows away the contemporary artist superstars. Can Damien Hirst explain exactly how Galkyd speeds up drying? I know illustrators that do. These are the unspoken modern masters. They may even be your neighbors.

No comments: