Saturday, January 28, 2012

Influences: DAVE MARTSOLF

dave martsolf

The Cathedral-by Dave Martsolf
Oil on Canvas 


When realism and surrealism collide you get Dave Martsolf. I have just recently discovered his art, and I wish I had years ago! His images are mind-boggling and so is his technique. This is an artist on top of his game. I urge you to view his art here:


His mediums are oils, watercolors, and pencil. I am totally floored by his oil paintings. The gripping subject matter and the flawless painting technique pack a knockout one-two punch. He's influenced by all the great masters and others such as Miro, Matisse, Kandinsky, Klee, Picasso, and the surrealist Salvador Dali. You can immediately see the Dali influence. It's like Dali painted some of Dave's work himself. For imagery he draws from people around him and from the landscapes of his dreams. In his own words:

"Above all I wanted to show that space has a magical dimension where galaxies can exist in a droplet of water.  Mortality and immortality in such a magical place are intertwined like woven fabric.  I needed to show that."

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

So I salute you Dave Martsolf, you influence me. Thank you.


No comments: