Monday, December 26, 2011

2012 New Years Resolutions



I like to write lists of goals for myself each year, and there's no better time than at the beginning of a new year. So here's my New Year's Resolutions in order of importance.

1. Get over 100 people signed up on my art newsletter.
    
I didn't know this until recently, but having people on a mailing list is one of the most important  things an artist can do. All the other artists I speak to online refer to theirs as "solid gold" or other prosperous terms. You can let people know about recent news, upcoming shows, sales, stories about the art, how the art was made and other promotions. Essential stuff! I will be offering a free guide called "7 ways to tell great art from bad" as incentive (It's not set up yet!). Something people can have for life. Value and free is the key it seems. Part of this will be writing more "remarkable" blog articles and improving my Facebook art fanpage, among other things.

2. Exercise.

I injured myself running a few moths ago and I had to rest. I seemed healed up, and ready to get back into exercising again. Very slowly at first.

3. Pass the Massachusetts teacher tests.
 
I'd like to pass these in the coming year. I see myself easily in the art teacher role. I will say however that it's a shame that I have to have to pass both the Communications/Literacy test as well as the art specific test. I'm going to be teaching art, not English. Thanks Massachusetts. Not like I've been an artist for 37 years or anything. It seems that they are more interested in having William Shakespeare teach art than Pablo Picasso. I should be able to pass both by the end of the year.

4. Submit my art to various art clubs and organizations for membership. This looks a lot better on a resume. Also there's more networking available as well as other benefits.

5. More guitar lessons.

I can't help myself. I blame this quote I recently read from the late, great, virtuoso bass guitar player Cliff Burton; "Bach is God." Something about that hit me deep inside. There was this great importance to the music of Bach. I have to explore that. It seemed to work for Cliff. Before he passed on, he played in a little band called Metallica. I have developed the habit of when I try to do something, I try and do it as well as possible.

6. More shows.

I've been neglecting going to artist friend shows or musician friend shows as well. I feel awful about this, but my budget right now doesn't allow all that car travel. Argh.

7. New wardrobe.

I've been wearing some stuff that's over 10 years old and I just don't think it matches me anymore. I've just outgrown a lot of it on a personal level. It was great a while ago, but it feels wrong now.

8. Write a Holiday Novella

I've got the germ of a holiday novella going. It's a dark holiday fable. Very familiar, but very different. It seems to be writing itself, which is always a good sign. Like Finnegans Wake and A Christmas Carol. That's the plan. I've been meaning to write something for a few years now. I was going to write this sweeping epic fantasy about Star Pirates, but that had to walk the plank. For now at least.

9. THE FOUR HORSEMEN

I can't help but doing a 2012 end of the world painting. Actually, it will be either a beginning or an end, depending on how you want to look at it. Perception is reality, after all.

10. Dating

You never know.

No comments: